Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Back into roasting
DRUMTC
Hello I 1st roasted in a sifter and collaborated on the M12 in this video:

I learned recently it inspired Larry Cotton to perfect the wobble disk for it! Had I latched onto the Wobble DISK sifter I never would have ventured into the SCTO format. I enjoyed this for about 20 roast but could not keep up at 200g/roast. In Decemeber 22 I started doing pour over coffee and appreciating lighter roast. I recently dusted off my roaster and migrated it into a DRUMTC with hopes of roasting 550-600g success! It has evolved from the germ of the idea here by Dave I call 1.0,

to my 2.0 made with two stainless bowls insulated.

Still enamored with Larry's visual feedback available with the wobble sifter heat gun I evolved into DRUMTC 3.0

so I could monitor the bean color change. I have many improvements and ideas on how to add a Type K sensor in the bean bed but I may hold off with a whole new architecture in my head. Enough about my coffee roasting resume made some killer batches of beans and regrettably sacrificed about 1 kilo on the way back into the hobby my stream of shame is on Youtube channel.
Edited by renatoa on 04/26/2023 3:22 AM

allenb
Hi DRUMTC and belated welcome to HRO! Very nice setup you have there and great videos.

Let us know how the coffee's cupping and if you have found the sweet spot for this roaster setup?
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

DRUMTC
[img][img][img][/img][/img][/img]

allenb wrote:

Hi DRUMTC and belated welcome to HRO! Very nice setup you have there and great videos.

Let us know how the coffee's cupping and if you have found the sweet spot for this roaster setup?
Hi Allen

I have found simply preheating the chamber adding the beans and observing 1st crack calculating the 25% development time and pulling the beans around then yields a wonderful cup. Lots of rich bitter sweet chocolate with tart fruit esters following. If I target 20% dev time more fruits are forward but I prefer the latter. Moving to the glass bowl allow hand eye ear nose and brain to end in a good place every time.

1lb net roast are very doable but I have been roasting smaller batches of 3-400g so I can have more fun!

My decidedly low tech approach comes from https://www.bobbo...
Edited by renatoa on 05/12/2023 1:22 AM

CK

I have found simply preheating the chamber adding the beans and observing 1st crack calculating the 25% development time and pulling the beans around then yields a wonderful cup. Lots of rich bitter sweet chocolate with tart fruit esters following. If I target 20% dev time more fruits are forward but I prefer the latter...
My decidedly low tech approach comes from https://www.bobbo...

Thanks for this post. As a hobby roaster with about 6 years and hundreds of roasts using various DIY machines, my findings by trial and error are very much as mentioned. I really liked reading the linked page. ThumbsUp

Jump to Forum: