Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Electric pourover scaa temperature
allenb
A couple of years before moving from Colorado to South Carolina, I started using a Bonavita electric pourover brewer. In Colorado, at it's mile high altitude, the Bonavita consistently dropped around 194-197 F water over the coffee and I had a difficult time tasting much difference between it and a perfectly done manual pour. After moving to South Carolina (sea level), it drops somewhere around 210F by mid brew and there's a big negative difference in the cup with bitterness, astringency and other off-notes that do not happen with manual pour at 195F. I've experimented with dropping voltage from a little drop all the way down to where it stopped brewing and made no difference in temperature so that isn't an option. Tried using 45 degree water from the fridge and made little difference.

Wanted to alert anyone who may be using their "scaa correct" brewer as with the Technivorm, Bonavita and others, as the only brewing method and are new to roasting, that you should not base your roasting quality on cup results from these brewers if you are at or near sea level as there will be brewing defects.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa

At sea level, water boils at 212 °F.
With each 500-feet increase in elevation, the boiling point of water is lowered by just under 1 °F.
At 7,500 feet, for example, water boils at about 198 °F.

HarryDog
So many things I would like to comment on...
My elevation is 2264 feet above sea level.

Would the water be a much bigger factor? Even bottled water is often bottled at different sites across North America.

Now I read about boiling water is not the greatest as it will deaden it as the oxygen is boiled off if I remember correctly, so at sea level you get to 198F without effecting the water. Better?

For me My electric brewer is set to 199F as this is more about how hot the cup is after brewing. I also use a ceramic insulated to go cup with this unit that retains the heat far longer then other cups I use.

Does anyone remember a link to an article about brew temp that extraction and taste could not be discerned by the testers? I think this was about two months ago when I saw it, not sure if it was on this site.

btreichel
Or you could use a bonavita kettle and select your temp. BTW, they cup @ 206 to draw out the flaws (so I've been told)

Piotrkurak
Im at 4680 here in Reno. Water boils at 203.4f indicated in winter, 202.3 in the summer in the 5 gal wort bucket.
180f comming out of the brewer.
9 bar Expresso thinned out into a macchiato is pretty much identical to my brewer, but I may have dying tastebuds or the differences are too subtle for me to detect

allenb

btreichel wrote:

Or you could use a bonavita kettle and select your temp. BTW, they cup @ 206 to draw out the flaws (so I've been told)

I've cupped with many specialty roasters who were top tier roasters and most of the time, water was brought to just prior to rapid boil, then immediately got poured over the cups until exhausted which would have the last cups getting well below 190F. If you pour 200F water over the coffee in a room temp ceramic cupping bowl, the steeping temp for most of the 4 minutes is probably around 180F.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Piotrkurak
Cold brew in a french press?

Never goes much above ambiant and is touted to develop more flavor than most brew processes without off tasting.

Jump to Forum: