Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Good Source of Beans in USA
oldgrumpus
I was looking for a local source of beans that I could actually drive to in less than an hour. Sonofreco, The makers of commercial grade hot air roasters also sells green beans. Even though I don’t have a hot air roaster, (I roast in a drum…). I have found that their beans are very reasonably priced. I am currently buying the Ethiopia Sidama fair trade organic. They have a couple of different ways to buy, a 20 pound box with 4, 5 lb bags of various beans of your choosing. This is how I buy. They also sell a larger box. My most recent order arrived today with free shipping. $107 total for 20 lbs of the Ethiopian! A little over $5 per lb.

allenb
Have you had a chance to roast and cup any of the coffees on that order? If yes, let us know how you rate them.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

oldgrumpus

allenb wrote:

Have you had a chance to roast and cup any of the coffees on that order? If yes, let us know how you rate them.

Yes, I have! I'd give it a 4/5 for the way I roast it. I like it enough to make it my "daily driver". I don't think it can be beat for the price, but there's always something better. IMHO. I get tired of looking for the next best thing, so for now I'm settling here for a while. Who knows, it may be gone next time I order or maybe next year's crop might not be as good. Time will tell....

allenb
I have the same type of buying strategy. I look for a nice coffee that is a good daily casual use coffee that I will enjoy just for my morning reading companion and for my relatives I roast for and then I always try to keep on hand a couple of special greens that has the extra sparkle like higher end Ethiopians and Kenyas that take more time than I'd really like to spend searching for and evaluating till I find the right one. I've grown very tired of the numerous glorious writeups of green coffees from all of our favorite suppliers that turn out to be way overblown and sometimes totally misrepresenting the coffee.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

oldgrumpus
I agree!

Regarding this specific coffee, I've roasted 40 lbs before ordering the last 20. I've included the profile here for those interested. I works pretty well.
oldgrumpus attached the following image:
profile_4.jpg

CK
Nice profile. This has quite similar shape, duration and end temp to many of my better roasts. ThumbsUp

Coffee Bean Corral. I've used these guys for years excellent products excellent delivery. I've tried several others but these guys always come through.
It's bad luck to be superstitious

Jump to Forum: