Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How much green should I buy
gennyroasts
I am just starting out with a Behmor + looking for green coffee beans. Right now, I drink/go through about 1 - 1.5lbs of roasted per week. I noticed that shipping costs tend to be pretty high on sites like sweet marias and coffee bean corral. I want to be efficient, but I want to roast a lot of different coffees & I don't want them to get old.

Just wondering, how many pounds of green does everyone else usually buy at once and about how frequently?

Thanks in advance for your advice ☕

renatoa
Roasting green older than 15 months is not desirable.
So, if you have a trusted source, able to tell you the exact crop date, do your math.
For example, if crop is exactly one year ago, then plan for 15-12 = 3 months, at your consumption/roast rate.

Sure, this is an ideal... life is far from perfect... Grin

gennyroasts
Thanks! So you would recommend buying ~ 3 months supply at a time?

renatoa
3 months was just an example, when greens are from last year crop.
For 2023 crops you can buy even more... with the risk of having money and space locked by excess beans, if you get a more appealing offer from elsewhere.
Personally I buy quantities that optimize shipping cost with beans cost, without exceeding 6 months stock.

gennyroasts
Agreed, fresher is definitely better. I'll need to see if I have the $$ and space for 6 months!

Piotrkurak
I have found that +/-10 pounds is the sweet spot for either free or low cost parcel post shipping across the CONUS. For me 10 lbs is about 8-10 weeks depending how full I load the drum in my behmore.

Jump to Forum: