Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Skywalker, the ALM chinese one pound roaster
Mike_Mathis

Dan N wrote:

Mike_Mathis wrote:
I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the US, clearly your unit didn't ship from China, clear customs, and get on a DHL truck in that time.

Seems crazy, but ITOP store free shipping option was DHL Express. Picked up in Hong Kong 1/06, arrived CINCINNATI HUB and cleared customs1/07, delivered to me 1/08.

Wow! That's awesome. My confidence in DHL is increasing. When mine arrived in Memphis (I'm 25 miles North of there), I received an email informing me it would be put on a truck and delivered the next delivery cycle. I guess that's what I get for living in the boonies.

You asked about Artisan settings for this roaster. I have a Leonardo on the way. When it arrives and I get the USB soldered to it I will then try to figure out the software loading (I've been watching YouTube videos). If I'm able to successfully get that done I will post some info. I have used Artisan quite a bit with other roasters, so I will be able to adapt it to this one fairly quickly. I will post my settings if anyone wants them. Hopefully, I can get this all done by the weekend.
Edited by Mike_Mathis on 01/10/2024 1:00 PM
*Kaffelogic Nano 7
*Skywalker V1
*2023 BC-2

Robotic Kitten
I've roasted some decaff beans (washed light profile 021) and both times I've got two beans which were just charcoal and a few others charred on the flat side.

Any ideas why?

HarryDog
I think they stay rotating on the front panel, the agitation fins are back a bit front the front plate allowing them to sit in this area. So they don't get picked up by the fin.

I was thinking of putting 2 or 3 bumps in the front plate (In the bean mass area) just to bounce the beans off the front plate? Idea needs testing as I have this issue as well and have not seen a bean stuck yet.

Mike_Mathis
When I watched the video Josh posted with the glass front on the drum, I believe a few beans are being thrown on top of the heater and sitting there. The little triangle strip that runs along the top of the heater like a little rooftop is too small. I think there is room for a bean to sit up there. I may be wrong, but I had 1 burnt bean in my 1st roast and 3 in my 2nd. I'm talking fried to a crackly crunch. HarryDog, I would think if they were pinned in front of the drum they would be away from the heat source.

I confess, I just don't know...........YET!

But I have no doubt, we will figure it out.
*Kaffelogic Nano 7
*Skywalker V1
*2023 BC-2

HarryDog
I have a short probe (15mm) in the front panel and it tracks about 15-20C behind the factory probe, think it's enough heat. The lamp does have a rough grate over it, maybe it could catch a bean. Could be both, definitely needs testing.

BigPastor
I’m loving all the posts on the Skywalker! Just did my second roast on mine. Loving it!

Does anyone have an idea or recommendation on how to better load green beans in? The input shoot is crazy small.

renatoa
Just posted in the mods thread on this subject Grin

Please also check here post #43, page 2.

ctjameson

BigPastor wrote:

I’m loving all the posts on the Skywalker! Just did my second roast on mine. Loving it!

Does anyone have an idea or recommendation on how to better load green beans in? The input shoot is crazy small.

I'm currently rapid prototyping a funnel that can hold a full 500g prior to charge without issue, allowing the charge door to hold it and charge the drum. I'll come post it here when I'm done with the final stl file.
Skywalkerino - Arduino/artisan powered Ali Roaster

Dan N
My box didn't say Skywalker on it so I don't think you'll be seeing that name anymore.
Search itop coffee roaster on youtube and there's 3 more videos of this roaster that don't show up in a search for Skywalker.
Edited by Dan N on 01/15/2024 6:55 AM

renatoa
What about on the manual ?

Dan N
Manual doesn't say Skywalker. Shows Model IT-CBR-1

renatoa
Funny, so they rebranded it as theirs, I suppose... IT coming from ITOP.

Still not clear what/where is that supposed primary manufacturer, that is selling the machine by thousand lots...

Piotrkurak
Appears to be a 1st level resale Foshan Akimita Household Appliance Co.,Ltd. Cant find the manufacturer page I originally saw but they advertise $160 in lots of 50

renatoa
Maybe here: https://www.aliba...77272.html

Later found multiple choices, this is the most appealing, MOQ 5 pcs * 200 = 1000 +740 shipping to my country
https://www.aliba...58153.html

Mike_Mathis
The roaster pics in the first link appear to show a redesigned bean loader funnel. I guess they realized............
*Kaffelogic Nano 7
*Skywalker V1
*2023 BC-2

renatoa
Unless it is computer graphics...

Mike_Mathis
I find it weird that some components of these roasters seem to be the same, yet different. The metal bar in front of the exit door for example. Even the triers are different. Some have a closed end and some are open. I'm sure there are others.

Changing gears just a little: When I was in mine yesterday, I noticed when I removed the heater element from the cage by wriggling it away from the pressure fit cap at the opposite end, some of the sealant used where the wires enter the glass part of the element started breaking apart and falling off. This stuff reminds me of playdough that has somewhat hardened. Do any of you know what this stuff is? I may need to dab a little more on where it flaked off. I would venture to say it is a heat-resistant sealant. Maybe patch it with some Hi-temp RTV? Food grade, of course.
Edited by Mike_Mathis on 01/15/2024 12:44 PM
*Kaffelogic Nano 7
*Skywalker V1
*2023 BC-2

Piotrkurak
Most similar product would be fire seal for concrete floor commercial building had at major hardware retailers. Silica based and perhaps not for food use. Second product would be the sealant they use in pellet stove fire boxes, but once again silica based.

Not wild about acetic acid fumes from curing RTV wandering around in my control electronics

Takes just a short while for knock.offs to show up in the Chinese community

Mike_Mathis
This is just a general observation on my part about this roaster. Table 2 on page 11 is a key to this roaster.
*Kaffelogic Nano 7
*Skywalker V1
*2023 BC-2

Nirecue
I just received my Skywalker roaster. Unpacked it a few days ago had some damage to the top part of exhaust port but everything else was ok. I played with the panel and reviewed the manual. Was able to get Skycommand to work had an extra Leonardo and Nano. Finally picked up beans on my day off and wanted to try out assistant mode before going full artisan. Went to preheat and the panel was unresponsive when hitting the roast button. Wasn't able to power down so I just unplugged. Upon restart started to Flash E1 on the panel. Drum stopped rotating, no heat or exhaust fan. Fan in the bottom back can be activated if I hit cooling but that is it. When connected to Artisan none of buttons or sliders work only displayed 76.8F ET and BT. I have already contacted vendor but a little bummed out it is now dead.
Edited by Nirecue on 01/18/2024 3:28 AM

renatoa
The best diagnostic of "When Connected to Artisan" is not Artisan behavior, but the sequence of communication messages...or lack thereof.
Help menu, Messages and Serial Log

Mike_Mathis

Nirecue wrote:

I just received my Skywalker roaster. Unpacked it a few days ago had some damage to the top part of exhaust port but everything else was ok. I played with the panel and reviewed the manual. Was able to get Skycommand to work had an extra Leonardo and Nano. Finally picked up beans on my day off and wanted to try out assistant mode before going full artisan. Went to preheat and the panel was unresponsive when hitting the roast button. Wasn't able to power down so I just unplugged. Upon restart started to Flash E1 on the panel. Drum stopped rotating, no heat or exhaust fan. Fan in the bottom back can be activated if I hit cooling but that is it. When connected to Artisan none of buttons or sliders work only displayed 76.8F ET and BT. I have already contacted vendor but a little bummed out it is now dead.

I have not been impressed with the plug at the rear of the roaster where the controller plugs in. Mine seems to be a loose connection. It is working, but there is no snugness as with other USB-A connections. Since it is behaving badly with two separate cords, maybe a close inspection is in order. Maybe wiggle it slightly while pushing a button.

Edit: I may have found the answer to the loose USB plug issue. I wasn't aware you could bend the little clips that hold the cord in. Learn something new every day. Now if I can bend them without breaking them off.

Final edit: Silly me for not knowing. Bending the little clips makes the plug fit snug. No more wiggly USB connections for me. Next up..........the laptop.
Edited by Mike_Mathis on 01/27/2024 8:54 AM
*Kaffelogic Nano 7
*Skywalker V1
*2023 BC-2

renatoa
Guys, look what I found today, lazy browsing on the internet...
https://www.gefu....GELO/16000

Guess what could be the alternative usage of this filter ... in the SKW world Grin
~~~
renatoa attached the following image:
image_2024-01-26_154731960.png

Mike_Mathis
limb Rhymes with tunnel?
Edited by Mike_Mathis on 01/26/2024 9:05 AM
*Kaffelogic Nano 7
*Skywalker V1
*2023 BC-2

renatoa
Yep Grin
The question is ... what is the size of the base of such funnel, to evaluate how well the match with the roaster beans entrance...

Jump to Forum: