Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
19th Century US roasters
richjh
Over 200 U. S. Patents were granted between 1840 and 1900. Over the years I have managed to collect about 13 of these roasters. My earliest is a 1849 T. R. Wood roaster. I have even put together a site devoted to these roasters and would love to hear any comments. You can view them at oldcoffeeroaster.com If you own one I would love to add it to my site.
Rich
Edited by allenb on 01/15/2024 8:05 PM

Mike_Mathis
What a fascinating website. It will take a little to go through all this. Some of the stuff I have read already is amazing.

They were truly coffee pioneers.
*Fresh Roast SR800 w/ext tube Phidgets & Artisan
*Kaffelogic Nano 7
*Skywalker V1 (heavily modded)
*2023 BC-2

allenb

richjh wrote:

Over 200 U. S. Patents were granted between 1840 and 1900. Over the years I have managed to collect about 13 of these roasters. My earliest is a 1849 T. R. Wood roaster. I have even put together a site devoted to these roasters and would love to hear any comments. You can view them at oldcoffeeroaster.com If you own one I would love to add it to my site.
Rich

Nice collection! I love seeing these old coffee roasting relics and especially the old vacuum pot brewers.
Something I've always wanted to see more of is any old photos of actual roasting in the old coal fired pull out plants like is shown on the site. Do you know if any exist?
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

richjh
So sorry for not getting back sooner. Its been some time since I logged on. Recently I have been busy updating my web site and adding U. S. Patents every day now. By the end of today I should have over 100 patents listed. I own 13 of these patented roasters and a few European roasters. I love coffee, antiques and patents. Patents interest me because I hold a number of them that were granted in my work as a project engineer for McKesson Corp. My 1st roaster was a Hyde 1864 roaster and that was purchased 25 years ago. Im keeping my fingers crossed that someone will email me with pictures so I can post them on my site. I now own the domain oldcoffeeroaster and oldcoffeeroasters.
Rich

allenb
Rich, with your extensive time pouring over the vintage coffee and historical archives, have you run across any sketches, engravings or early photos of coffee being roasted in the coal or wood fired hand-turned pullout roasting plants of the later 19th century? I've only seen the one image we see on the "oldcoffeeroaster.com" site front page.
Maybe they only exist within larger cities historical archives?
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

oldgrumpus
I found these two images at the Library of Congress. They are from a book published in 1898. The photos are on pages 36 and 37. The book is profusely illustrated with some rather creepy images. Maybe that was just the popular style in those days? So here are the photos and a link where you can download the entire book in PDF format.

https://tile.loc....00thom.pdf
oldgrumpus attached the following images:
coffee_factory_from_book_1898_p37.jpg coffee_factory_from_book_1898_p36.jpg

Clever Coffee Dripper
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Completed drum roaster project photos shown here:
Photos https://goo.gl/ph...Da6K4wfqw5
Videos https://www.youtu...Bd1NrdpSUH

allenb
Hi Ralph and great find of an old PPC roasting plant photo. It appears those roasters are the Whitmee style open flame gas fired drum roasters either made by the Whitmee company in England or a similar version. I've seen a few photos of people roasting in similar plants in the past but there's not many out there.
Let me know if you ever stumble on any images of the old hand cranked pullout plants like is shown on the oldcoffeeroaster.com site front page.

renatoa
You have a thread on this subject: https://homeroast...ad_id=1712

richjh
Rich, with your extensive time pouring over the vintage coffee and historical archives, have you run across any sketches, engravings or early photos of coffee being roasted in the coal or wood fired hand-turned pullout roasting plants of the later 19th century? I've only seen the one image we see on the "oldcoffeeroaster.com" site front page.
Maybe they only exist within larger cities historical archives?[/quote]

I purchased this image from eBay quite some time ago and that was the basis for my website. I bought this from eBay for a fairly pricey amount. I have the original tucked safely away. :-)
This was the eBay info,
This genuine antique engraving is titled "NEW YORK CITY - ROASTING AND PREPARING COFFEE FOR MARKET", published in "Frank Leslie's Illustrated" March 1879. This dated engraving from the year of 1879 is 11 x 15 inches in size.
Rich

richjh
I found these two images at the Library of Congress. They are from a book published in 1898. The photos are on pages 36 and 37. The book is profusely illustrated with some rather creepy images. Maybe that was just the popular style in those days? So here are the photos and a link where you can download the entire book in PDF format.

The first image looks like the image I use for my home page, https://www.oldco...oaster.com. My home page is from the March 1879 issue of Frank Leslie’s illustrated entitled “NEW YORK CITY - ROASTING AND PREPARING COFFEE FOR MARKET”
Edited by allenb on 03/24/2024 4:52 PM

allenb
Rich, FYI, the items and link you wanted to attach did not make it into your post.

I know I'm repeating myself but would be great if you could locate any actual early photos of a pullout roasting plant in operation.

Jump to Forum: