Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Greetings from Missouri
TDub
Hello, I’m new to this forum as of this week. I roasted three or more years ago and stopped suddenly for some odd reason. Could be that I was tired of drinking my poorly-roasted coffee. I started roasting with a Nuvo Eco handheld and quickly jumped on the FreshRoast roaster bandwagon. That’s my usual roaster. I tried a Hottop drum roaster but never succeeded in getting a decent roast (I’m not giving up). I think I solved that issue today with a new roaster profile. I’ll try to duplicate a few more times, but I’m very optimistic.

Thanks for hosting this helpful website. I look forward to learning a lot more about roasting here.

allenb
Big welcome to HRO! Sorry to hear of the poor roasting outcome when you were starting out but is unfortunately something most of us have experienced and still do when our trusty suppliers give us less than truthful information about their greens which seems to happen much more than we would like. And still do if we go too far into left or right field with roasting experiments.
Glad to hear you've found a profile that worked for you and hopefully will be repeatable.

Please be aware that there are lots of green coffees for sale by very reputable suppliers that is just into the acceptable quality range no matter how nice the roaster and profile. Many newcomers have unfortunately based most of their first few months of roasting on the cup quality from these greens and concluded that they just aren't able to pull off a good roast.

With that said, it's impossible to judge your equipment and profiles without being able to cup a roast of your greens roasted by a seasoned, experienced roaster on good equipment.

An analogy would be trying to judge the performance of a nice sports car when more than half of the fuel suppliers sold less than optimum fuel and no way to know who has the good fuel.

Post often and have fun!
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: