Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
roast controller survey?
bvwelch
Greetings,

Moderators-- feel free to delete if not deemed appropriate.

Just wondering if there is any demand for a custom controller? And whether I could make one that would be cost effective for resale?

What are the requirements?

What would be reasonable pricing?

Here are my thoughts:

1. pre-assembled standalone unit-- usable in many different (homebuilt) roasters. Initially aimed at N.A. power: 120 volts, 60 Hz.

2. local SD storage for profiles and data logging

3. PID control of heat and fan

4. local readout of TC temp

5. manual controls

Thank you for any suggestions,

Bill

dBndbit
Great idea! I was thinking of building up the same thing myself. I'll be happy to help design/layout/code/assemble/contribute, whatever is needed.

(I'm dangerous. People used to actually pay to do this kind of thing. Haaaaa ha ha ha!)
Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com
>home-built roasters and fair trade

bvwelch
Jim,

It would seem that we have a typical engineering situation-- A solution, looking for a problem... Oh well, maybe we can have some fun working on it together, even if there is no demand for it.

Bill

Kaffee Bitte
I am interested, though the amount of help I could give to this project, is pretty slim. It would be nice to have multiple functions contained in one device.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

bvwelch
Lynn,

You could be a big help with specs-- perhaps rank the features, or classify them. What features did we overlook? What features are listed that you'd never use, or wouldn't think anyone would want to pay for?

Thanks,

bill

Kaffee Bitte
1. pre-assembled standalone unit-- usable in many different (homebuilt) roasters. Initially aimed at N.A. power: 120 volts, 60 Hz.
Yes!!!! This would be great, but how easy would it be to connect up to the probably very different types of heaters, etc that we all would use?

2. local SD storage for profiles and data logging
I might use this, though I rarely log with my profiling. It might be nice though just to allow me to log without so much writing during the roast.

3. PID control of heat and fan
This would be excellent, in fact it might convince me to use nichrome elements instead of gas for my future air roaster. Or could it be used to control the gas flow/heat as well?

4. local readout of TC temp
INDEED!!!! My present system gives me a readout, but it is not automatically logged, and it requires attaching it every time. Having this function included would be great.

5. manual controls
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

Jump to Forum: