Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Junk Yard Tow Truck
EddieDove
Another excellent report, John! Keep the notes coming!
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

John Despres
Here's more. I think I can call it a half kilo roaster! The JYTT Half K. Sounds pretty cool, huh?

I just did 500 grams and am adding to the mush sloshing around in my brain.

I warmed the drum to 300F and added the beans. The drum temp dropped to 245F rather quickly. I set the temp to maintain 300F for a half pound, but apparently it's not enough. I'll have to set it higher since that many beans sucks the temp right out of the drum in a big fat hurry. The bean temp did indeed rise as time passed, but at a slower rate, than I think it should be. I was still within 10 - 15 seconds rise per minute.

Do you all who roast larger and smaller quantities need to adjust accordingly? I've never roasted this much so I'm unclear.

All in all, I hit first at 19:30 and ended the roast at 24:00 without hitting second. Munch test tells me it's good, but the brewing will tell the true tale.

The roast is about City/City + with a 14% loss in weight. There's still a bit of light chaff showing in the seam.

I'm certain I have the power to hit first much sooner with a 500 gram load, so that'll be the next test.

The JYTT Half K. I like it!
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings
Way to go, John! Let us know how the temp ramps change with the larger batch sizes.

How do the IR thermometer readings from beans scooped out compare to the TC inside the machine?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
Once the beans catch up to the drum temp and the two temperatures start running more or less parallel, the beans lag behind the drum temp by about 55F.

I actually don't really scoop out the beans. I scoop them and, keeping them in the drum, can gat a shot t them with the IR thermometer. I can get a shot at the beans in the drum, but under the light, I'm reading the energy of the 1000 watts of light.

Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
My memory fails me... I should have referred to a log or two. The bean temp lags behind by about 25-30F.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
If I slow things down a tiny bit more, say preheat to 250F and add the beans, both temperatures are even closer together at first crack. I may try preheating to 200F and see what happens.

Thay stay fairly close even if I'm ramping at differnt rates for different beans.

If I can get the gap between drum and bean temps to even out and merge before first, I can dispense with the IR and scoop, which is a pia.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: