Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The mean, green, bean machine
Dozer
I've started my project on building my own roaster. I was inspired by Farmroasts kilogram roaster, but I decided to settle for a 500g roaster for now smile

I bought a very generic turbo oven on an online auction. These are really hard to come by in 230v, and I have no idea who made this one. I cut down a stock pot which was to small for the turbo oven. I used the top part to make a rim for the turbo oven.

I've got an old windshield wiper from an 86 mazda 323, which I plan to run on a 19v (I think it's made for 12v, but I hope it'll survive). I'm working on the base for the moment, and it will be made of wood for now. If it burns down I'll consider a steel setup in the future :@

constructive criticism wanted
Dozer attached the following image:
IMG_3570-400[880].jpg

Edited by Dozer on 04/16/2008 2:53 PM

Dozer
Really not easy to post images here smile
IMG_3569-400[881].jpg

seedlings
Nice project shaping up, Dozer! I bet you'll easily exceed the 500g goal. Will heat escape between the inner bowl and the outer turbo oven mount?

Keep us up to date on how it comes together. I'm excited!

s:2 s:2
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Dozer

seedlings wrote:
Will heat escape between the inner bowl and the outer turbo oven mount?

I'm thinking that it will. I'm considering cutting a ring from an high temp silicone baking mat and using it as a sealing around the edge. This one can take up to 482?C, which should be safe..... right?

seedlings
482 F would be safe for coffee roasting ... 482C is safe for re-entering the atmosphere!!!

CHAD

Dozer
The roaster is now theoretically ready for use. I'm expecting some greens any time now, and I'm hoping for a first roast this weekend. I'm planning on adding a system for chaff removal/venting, but I haven't decided how to do this yet.

The base is made of wood, and its quite sturdy. I didn't want to lift the whole thing during dumping so I improvised a couple system made from a 10mm socket from my socket wrench kit. I'm quite pleased about this solution as it works very well.

Seedlings: Are you sure 500?F silicone mat will do the trick? This would be great as they are much easier to come by in normal shops.
Roaster[887].jpg

Edited by Dozer on 04/17/2008 1:36 PM

seedlings
I really think 500F would be enough. Do you have a thermometer? Check the temp as it operates now, without any gasket.

Dozer! It works! Or did you put some other roast coffee in for the picture? If it works well, do may not need to change a thing.

CHAD

Dozer
The beans in the picture are just for testing. But i just tested the roaster and it works. It was my first roast ever, so I'm realistic about the results. I roasted 300g of Sidamo just into c2. Not a very uniform c1, and the roast seemed a little uneven. Total time 16min.

a nice first try nonetheless, if I dare say so smile

edit: seems like uneven roast is what to expect in dry-processed Sidamo. I almost exposed my inexperience.
Edited by Dozer on 05/02/2008 2:32 PM

seedlings
You haven't updated us, Dozer... how's the roasting and the tasting?

CHAD

ginny
There is so much creative stuff here; I am amazed!!

thanks all of you for posting your great work.

ginny

s:2s:2s:8s:8

Dozer
I've done about 10 roasts so far. The spring is pretty cold here in northern Norway, so there are some inconsistencies due to external temperatures (3-12C). The roasts taste good, but not exceptional. I've ordered some beans from coffee bean corral, and I'm hoping that a better source will lift the results to the next level.

My thermocouple died during beginning of a roast, and I had to do the roast by eyes and ears. This roast was faster, but turned out to be the best so far. It was a sidamo that ended up with an intense aroma of sweet lemons. Very interesting smile

seedlings
The sights and sounds are fascinating, aren't they? You may have found that the faster temperature ramp up works well with your roaster. It often takes many roasts to find what you like and what your roaster's capabilities are.

Great to hear from you, Dozer! It's 11C and raining here today... Missouri, Norway, Norway, Missouri I know what you mean about the frustrating temps, I'm fortunate I can roast in a small garage with the door open only partway to let the smoke out.

Oh, and what'd you order from Coffee Bean Corral? I've only had their Harrar and a Huehuetenango.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 05/23/2008 8:33 AM

Dozer
I ordered the following:

4 Brazil Natural Cerrado - Santos - 17/18 screen
4 Ethiopian Harar - Horse
4 Ethiopian Yergacheffe
4 Ferdelance Espresso Blend

Jump to Forum: