Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best Green Coffee Under $4 per pound (no snobs allowed)
seedlings
Yes, I'm asking it. I had a colombian supremo from coffee bean direct that was pretty good for $3.53/lb including shipping.

I'm looking at a Guatamala Huehuetenango from Coffee Bean Corral. They have a neat "coffee matrix" where you select flavors then it lists the coffees with them.

So, if you have any bargain experiences, do tell. Especially if the offerings are still available.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

RockinJava9
The Corral has treated me well over the years. Gillie's Coffee treats me best per pound. I still think the Corral may be a notch up on quality...

I am a sucker for Colombias, Costa Rica's Brazil's and a few African single origins....

seedlings
Gillie's had me at "free shipping over 10 pounds"!

Although... are their servers always on a 56K dialup, or is it just me? It took 10 minutes to glance at their 4 pages of greens.

CHAD

RockinJava9
I purchase at Gillies off their WHolesale page - and pay my own shipping. Works out around $3.15/lp shipped

MarkBart
I purchased Bolivian Superior Grade (AA) cupping score 85 IIRC from www.Invalsa.com it's Organic and Fair Trade.
Colonia Chijchipani on both IIRC.
3-26-07 33# $100.92 or $3.05 / lb
6-20-07 66# $189.01 or $2.87 / lb
both had shipping included.
Wife and I love it, it's our daily coffee, we go thru about 3-4 lbs every 2 weeks.
Edited by MarkBart on 04/17/2008 1:58 PM
I'm so Bad, I'm Good! www.homeroasters.org/php/images/smiley/cool.gif
I'm putting the small back into Small Business!

seedlings

MeBeBrett wrote:
I purchase at Gillies off their WHolesale page - and pay my own shipping. Works out around $3.15/lp shipped

Yesssss!

MarkBart wrote:
I purchased Bolivian Superior Grade (AA) cupping score 85 IIRC from www.Invalsa.com it's Organic and Fair Trade.
Colonia Chijchipani on both IIRC.
3-26-07 33# $100.92 or $3.05 / lb
6-20-07 66# $189.01 or $2.87 / lb
both had shipping included.
Wife and I love it, it's our daily coffee, we go thru about 3-4 lbs every 2 weeks.

YESSSSS SS SS SSSSSS SSSSSSSSS! Wait! Mark, where did you purchase from?

Woo-hoo, I'm going hunting!
CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 04/17/2008 10:45 PM

MarkBart
I tried to look at the Gillie's website and you're right the 28kb server connection was way too slow to even consider this as a viable company.
I just don't have that many years left to live to create an account and log in just to see the wholesale prices.
Maybe someone over there should drink some caffinated coffee and slip some to the server.

RockinJava9

MarkBart wrote:
I tried to look at the Gillie's website and you're right the 28kb server connection was way too slow to even consider this as a viable company.
I just don't have that many years left to live to create an account and log in just to see the wholesale prices.
Maybe someone over there should drink some caffinated coffee and slip some to the server.

I just walked through their welcome page, wholesale page, green coffee page, login (had to do that to see the prices, then back to the green coffee page - all in less than 60 seconds.... There was a delay while I accepted their poorer security certificate... I imagine you hit them when they were busy selling coffee?

AND - Are you looking for a cool website, or terrific coffee? Don't be foolish, give them a shot - or better, give them a call... Call Toll Free (800) 344-5526 ...

Don't be fooled, Gillie's is the oldest coffee provider in New York. It is run by a father-son duo who love coffee. You'll see other coffee companies come and go, this one isn't all that web savvy.

seedlings
I went back and forth and forth and back on this and here is my final list (in no particular order):

1) Gillie's Colombia Supremo $2.84/lb + .20/lb (for 25lb instead of 154lb) + $25.62 shipping = $76 (coffee) + 25.62 = $101.62, or $4.06/lb

2) CoffeeBeanCorral's Guatamala Palhu $3.90/lb including shipping (25lbs) = $97.50

3) Invalsa's Organic Bolivia $2.59/lb (33lbs) + 23.74 shipping = $109.21 or $3.31/lb

While Invalsa's price was the best, the lack of cupping notes scared me away, and I bought the Guatamala from CoffeeBeanCorral.

Brett, what did you buy from Gillies that worked out to $3.15/lb shipped? Did you buy the 154lb bag?

Best price was Invalsa! Thanks, Mark! Next time...

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 04/23/2008 8:43 AM

MarkBart
Chad, I see you are looking at the Catagory Primera Extra (A) with a cupping score of 75 minimum. If you click on description in the middle of the screen you will be taken to a product info page clicking on the white "Description" will get you to the cupping notes.
Cupping score on that coffee was 79.5 Comments: Round sweet citris flavor, current tease, chocolate hint, stronger at lighter roasts, nice smooth finish, wonderful.
This one is being offered at $2.49 /lb for 66# on the wholesale side.

While the Primera Extra (A) sounds good, I prefer to stay with coffee's with the same level of cupping score as SM's or a score of 80 or better. This coffee would not be my choice either since it prefers a lighter roast while I prefer a darker.

My usual choice from Invalsa is the Superior (AA) with a cupping score of 83. Their current offering is a different Colonia than the one I bought though. It is offered at $2.79 /lb for 66# wholesale.

Since I too am looking to stock up I might try thier Cumbre (AAA) with a cupping score of 87.5. It is being offered at $3.99 /lb for 33# Retail or $3.49 /lb for 66# wholesale.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

MarkBart

I just walked through their welcome page, wholesale page, green coffee page, login (had to do that to see the prices, then back to the green coffee page - all in less than 60 seconds.... There was a delay while I accepted their poorer security certificate... I imagine you hit them when they were busy selling coffee?

It didn't matter wheather I tried at 3am last night or 10 am this morning, they are still dog slow.

seedlings
If you've never tried www.coffeebeancor... on the left side, near the middle of the page click the "COFFEE MATRIX" then click on the flavors you'd like, then "show me" at the top. It's pretty fun. The prices you see are for 1 pound, but after you click on the coffee, the page pulls up the bulk prices. For example, the Guatamala I picked says $4.90 per pound, but the price goes down the more you purchase.

Free shipping on 25lbs or more.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 04/23/2008 9:51 AM

RockinJava9

seedlings wrote:
Brett, what did you buy from Gillies that worked out to $3.15/lb shipped? Did you buy the 154lb bag?
CHAD

Hi Chad,
Here's how I got to three oh something on my coffee:
1 x Brazil Cerrado 17/18 (BRAZILGREEN) = $58.58
Unit Size 25 LB Box
1 x Costa Rica SHB EP (COSTARICAGREEN) = $66.28
Unit Size 25 LB Box
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $124.86
United Parcel Service (2 x 28.60lbs) (Ground): $37.40
Total: $162.26

Excel...
=162.26/50<enter>

for 50lb, that was... $3.25 a pound.

Sorry, my bad on misreporting the price...
Brett
Edited by RockinJava9 on 04/23/2008 12:24 PM

Hoodie2

seedlings wrote:
So, if you have any bargain experiences, do tell. Especially if the offerings are still available.

CHAD

Hi Chad. Give this link a try - www.rdaltoncoffee.com

They sell only coffee from Guatemala, and their prices are reasonable

Regards, Gary
Edited by EddieDove on 04/24/2008 3:14 PM

seedlings

Hoodie2 wrote:
Hi Chad. Give this link a try - www.rdaltoncoffee.com

They sell only coffee from Guatemala, and their prices are reasonable

Regards, Gary

You're right, Gary, 25 lbs would be $3.20 a pound including shipping! They're on my list. Have you had their coffees before, and what did you think?

CHAD

Hoodie2

seedlings wrote:

You're right, Gary, 25 lbs would be $3.20 a pound including shipping! They're on my list. Have you had their coffees before, and what did you think?

CHAD

Hi Chad. I have tried the Nimaya Estate and the El Recreo Estate beans so far. I liked the El Recreo Estate, but the Nimaya didn't do anything for me. YMMV, Gary
Edited by EddieDove on 04/26/2008 12:30 PM

seedlings
Hey, Mark- I'm checking out the Invalsa site again. Have you tried the -->ORGANIC BIRD-FRIENDLY? SPECIALTY (AA)<-- yet? It scores an 83, and says:

"Natural sweetness with lots of chocolate, bold snappy acid, hint of bananas & almonds on the finish that lingered, beautiful long finish, nice cool."

Which sounds good to me. Lemme know if you've tried this one.

CHAD

bvwelch
I'm looking for the opposite of CHAD-- low acid, Sumatra or Sumatra-like coffee -- SweetMarias is out of the Organic that we liked. I've tried their Lake Tarwar and their Batak Peaberry, not real fond of either of those.

Looking for not more than 10 pounds, unless/until I am sure we like it.

Thanks,

-bill
Edited by bvwelch on 06/24/2008 1:45 PM

MarkBart
Hey Chad!

Hey, Mark- I'm checking out the Invalsa site again. Have you tried the -->ORGANIC BIRD-FRIENDLY? SPECIALTY (AA)<-- yet? It scores an 83, and says:

"Natural sweetness with lots of chocolate, bold snappy acid, hint of bananas & almonds on the finish that lingered, beautiful long finish, nice cool."

Which sounds good to me. Lemme know if you've tried this one.

Ummmmm only bought one 66 pound bag. did first roast to city - full city, it tastes good. Milwaukee heat gun power switch died, using Welbuilt heat gun for first time on this first roast. It's got a different roasting profile, more gungho and brutish. Old problem with Welbuilt's reared it's head after 3 batches, power switch toggle plastic melted from blow back. Will have to open heat gun and reshape toggle. So far the plastic toggle that reaches in to activate the switch is the only plastic on the Welbuilt heat gun that can't handle the heat, I guess they think the finger on the switch will cover it and handle the heat for it. They didn't think about that in the stand alone mode.
I think next week I'll roast this to FC+ and extend the roast times. The Welbuild heat gun roasts too fast right now, will experiment some more.

Mark

seedlings
Mark, only 66#? Heck, you probably chug that much per week! Yes, I'm interested in what you think of it. The "reviews" at Invalsa all say, "fast shipping, coffee looks good" and really helpful comments like that.

Bill, you like lower acidity... try Brazils, plus you can always roast darker. I'm pretty sure that the acidity drops as the degree of roast progresses. You can always go with a different Sumatra - the only one I personally have tried that is VERY good, is --> at www.theroasterie.com <-- but it's a new crop, so it will either be as good or better than the one I had 6 months ago. I'm pretty sure The Roasterie still ships free if your order is $40 or more (their prices per pound have really shot up in the last few months).

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 06/25/2008 5:19 AM

bvwelch
I'm willing to try Brazils again-- where and at what price under $4 ?

Thanks,

-bill

seedlings
For price, Brett recommended the Brazil Cerrado 17/18 from www.gilliescoffee..., but you'll have to register to see green coffee prices, which today are $73.43 for a 25# box plus shipping. The only Brazil I've tried is -->THIS ONE<-- (again) from The Roasterie. I liked it. Can't say it is my favorite, but here's KEN DAVID'S REVIEW . It's a few years old, but it'll give you a good idea.

CHAD

seedlings
Just ordered some of Invalsa's Bolivian AA. Here's the breakdown:

33# bag_____________$98.67
Shipping Insurance____$2.30
3 day FedEx shipping__$25.21

Total of $126.18, or $3.82/lb.

I'll let you know what I think in 3-5 business days!

CHAD

bvwelch
You've probably heard that SweetMarias is trying a new flat-rate shipping scheme for the rest of this month. $8 for up to 20 pounds, $14 for up to 40 pounds, and $21 for up to 60 pounds. Also I noticed about 5 coffees that are less than $4, if you go with the 20 pound size.

I'm not affiliated with SweetMarias in any way, other than a happy customer.

-bill

georgel
so far i have been doing sweet marias. I like their web site and Info. I only do 10# at a time. S&h is a bit pricey. I like the breadth of the offerings but I don't think it qualifies for under $4.oo / #. W/S&H.
I like Yergs, Sidamo, Costa Rican. I tried a couple of # of Fair trade from a local supplier and was underwhelmed. I have mostly not been impressed with FT roasted coffees. [If you like it enjoy as you will never get it again. ) consistency.
I first discovered good coffee in Europe in 1960. but was unable to find beans, grinders, etc. in the US.. Yes A&P had beans. But I didn't know it at the time. I currently use an American grinder that once did duty in an A&P store. It is quite the art Deco piece and grinds to my liking. In the late 70's I started roasting my own in a cast iron frying pan. was happy till I lost my GB supplier. With the advent of coffee cazyness in Seattle I was happy cherrypicking good beans and brewing it to my satisfaction..[ no Charbucks] Now of course I am A DIY roasting addict.

Jump to Forum: