Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best Green Coffee Under $4 per pound (no snobs allowed)
seedlings
Yeah, George, there are quite a few underwhelming coffees. I'm pretty cheap, and I've found a few of them. The last couple have been very tasty, the Guatamala Palhu Huehuetenango from www.coffeebeancor... and this latest Bolivian from www.invalsa.com. --->Here's my notes for the Bolivian<--.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 07/11/2008 11:35 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

bvwelch
I've found the Selva Negra from Javavino in Atlanta to be a good value. I wish I were good at describing the taste in detail. Maybe some of the others from the Atlanta area can chime in. Meanwhile, I'll just say that we enjoy it as a drip coffee.

Javavino has other coffees that taste good and are also inexpensive, but the Selva Negra is the "family" farm coffee so it is the cheapest.

As I understand their "wholesale" pricing, you can order any of the coffees in 10 pound increments, as long as your total order is for 30 pounds or more.

I spoke with Steve.

http://www.javavi...

-bill
Edited by seedlings on 11/07/2008 11:36 AM

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
I've found the Selva Negra from Javavino in Atlanta to be a good value. I wish I were good at describing the taste in detail. Maybe some of the others from the Atlanta area can chime in. Meanwhile, I'll just say that we enjoy it as a drip coffee.

Javavino has other coffees that taste good and are also inexpensive, but the Selva Negra is the "family" farm coffee so it is the cheapest.

As I understand their "wholesale" pricing, you can order any of the coffees in 10 pound increments, as long as your total order is for 30 pounds or more.

I spoke with Steve.

http://www.javavi...

-bill

Bil, would you be willing to put a pound of that in a flat-rate envelope and send it to me to trade for a pound of either Colombian from ourcoffeebarn or Bolivian from invalsa.com...? I'm curious!

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 11/09/2008 9:08 PM

bvwelch
Chad,

Sure I can do that, but if you like, we could move up to the flat-rate box. What else you got to trade? Here's my list:

From JavaVino:
Selva Negra
Columbian
Decaf Sumatra

From Sweetmarias:
java kajumas curah tatal

Also available-- tubes, transformers. :-)

-bill
Edited by bvwelch on 11/09/2008 10:18 PM

seedlings
Bill, I'm unarmed regarding beans! All I have is the Bolivian and Colombian (they may have been grown on either side of the same hill). Sorry! It takes me a while to make it through 33 pounds of beans. And most of the tubes and transformers I have WERE yours! I just wanted to try the Selva Negra before buying 30# (since you won't give your tasting results!)

What do you think now?

CHAD

bvwelch
Hey Chad,

Fine if you just want one pound that is fine. I was just pointing out that for $5 more we could trade up to approx 12 pounds.

About the tubes and transformers, I meant I could send you a few more, along with the beans, if we moved up to the flat rate box as opposed to the flat rate envelope...

Just let me know how you'd like to proceed.

I did say I liked the Selva Negra, I just don't know how to describe it. You may have seen Tom's S.M. review from a few years back. I don't know if that is accurate for this crop or not.

-bill

seedlings
I have 15 pounds of colombian and about 5 pounds of Bolivian. Is there anything else that you need? I'm not sure I have anything of value to you! Well, now, I do have a short stack of poppers in the garage but no WBP1s, one P2, another that looks exactly like a P2, and a Westinghouse... I have some 24ga nichrome... (I'm taking a break from the tube amps. The most recent one sounds very nice and I have 2 others as well, so tinkering efforts have transitioned over to this commercial espresso machine.)

Tell you what - since I've no immediate need for anything besides portafilters at the moment, I'll pick up a flat rate envelope from the post office tonight and see how much coffee fits safely in one of those babys. (I bet many of you already know!) And I'd like to send you some Bolivian in trade for the Selve Negra... what say you?

CHAD

bvwelch
Sounds good, let me know how much you send, and I'll bag up the same weight here and send it your way. I just received 10 pounds of Columbian recently so the Bolivian would be my preference.

-bill

seedlings
2 pounds is about the safe limit for the flat-rate envelope.

2 pounds of Bolibivian from me = 2 pounds of Selve Negra from you

True?

Do you want some bare Nichrome or anything else that will squeeze in there?

Maybe we could create a masterlist of all the homeroasters' garaged spare parts inventory!

Have you moved this year? If not, I can ship tomorrow.
CHAD

bvwelch
Chad, it will be Wed or so before I can get yours mailed. My postal address is the same as previous.

Sure I will match your shipment pound for pound, no problem.

Thank you I look forward to trying the Bolivian.

-bill

seedlings
I'll ship tomorrow since I've already got it stuffed in the envelope. No need to hurry around from your end Bill. Heck, you're doing me a favor!

CHAD

bvwelch
Veteran's Day?

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
Veteran's Day?

Wow, you're right!

Wednesday it is.

CHAD

seedlings
2 pounds headed your way, Bill:

http://sales.inva...perior.php

CHAD

bvwelch
Chad,

It may be tomorrow before yours ships out. I have a run to post office to get a flat-rate envelope.

-bill

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
Chad,

It may be tomorrow before yours ships out. I have a run to post office to get a flat-rate envelope.

-bill

No hurries, no worries!

CHAD

hebrews
I know of a one-man operation here in the "central ohio" area that has great prices on his coffee. He's fantastic to deal with and very helpful.

www.cmebrewcoffee...

He has several coffees that can be purchased for under $4 even in lower quantities, and it only gets better when you order multiple lbs. of coffee beans. I hope this helps.

All the best,
Tom

hebrews
Oh... his name is Charlie Preston. I have no vested interest in him, I'm just happy I can drive up to his place to pick up the beans rather than have them shipped and pay through my nose.

seedlings
Eureka! Tom, you mad hatter, you! Sneaking around, pretending you're not a coffee PhD.

Excellent website! You'll be hearing from... a-hem... C-me-Brew will be hearing from me!

CHAD

seedlings

hebrews wrote:
Oh... his name is Charlie Preston. I have no vested interest in him, I'm just happy I can drive up to his place to pick up the beans rather than have them shipped and pay through my nose.

Wow, so there's no affiliation, then? I'll still give you credit anyway for the head's-up on this "local" site.

Thanks,
CHAD

hebrews
Nope, no affiliation. I landed upon his website by dumb luck, but was instantly impressed by what he offered. I was even happier when I found out his company is a mere hour from my home, which my little Hyundai can get there and back using less money than if I were to have him ship the beans to me.

seedlings
Do you have a favorite yet? I've had the Papua New Guinea Kimel before and really enjoyed it.

CHAD

hebrews
No favorite yet, but I was stunned at the amount of flavor a Sumatra Mandheling could have when it's not roasted as a vienna or french. I roasted it to a City +, and it had more complexity of flavors than I had never noticed before.
I've always liked both Costa Rican Tarrazu and Kenya AA and have found that roasting at home, I like them even more.
I'll have to get a pound or two of the New Guinea to try it out. What's a good roast for that?

seedlings
PNG will do just great at your City + to Full City. I usually stop a little darker at the first snap of second crack. Or, if I happen to be paying attention to smells, just after the smell sweetens and intensifies immediately before the first snap of second.

I agree about Sumatras! Don't know why most roasters assume they need to be uberdark roasted. Although, I don't know about City+, though. I seem to get a little too much funk (that ginny loves so much) down there, and I'd roast just a little longer. OR- wait an extra couple of days to try it. I did a Sumatra City roast one evening and the next morning it was AWEFUL - tasted of molded mushroom dirt (in a bad way)! I had a roasting friend over and he was gracious, but he knew it too. 3 days later the same coffee tasted great, and I was redeemed.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 11/14/2008 8:38 AM

bvwelch

seedlings wrote:
2 pounds headed your way, Bill
CHAD

Arrived in good shape this afternoon, thank you!

Your coffee went out this morning.

-bill

Jump to Forum: