Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
UnevenEthiopia
seedlings
Here's tonight's Ethiopian Sidamo Shanta Golba at a City+ roast, pulled at bean temp 430F in 14 minutes. It's a nice roast.

What do you all do with the peculiar beans? The ones that don't look like the others. Pitch em? In this pound of roasted coffee there are maybe 10 beans that look tan instead of even brown.

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/ShantaGolbaCity.jpg

I tried a white balance compensation, but don't know if it helped
or hurt. Can you pick the two that aren't like the others?
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/ShantaGolbaCityVaried.jpg

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 04/23/2009 9:20 PM

John Despres
Yes, the lighter ones stand out perfectly.

First thing I do is taste 'em. If they're sweet, I leave 'em there. Typically, light brown ones are OK, but if they're gray, they will most likely be sour. Toss 'em; yuk.

The chaff in the seams looks roasted, so these may be fine. Have a munch!

Also try an experiment - grind two equal batches and brew a couple shots, but one batch has the light brown ones in it, the other does not.

John
Edited by John Despres on 04/23/2009 10:31 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

BoldJava
Lights stay. Part of an Ethiopian that makes it an Ethiopian. Lose them and you lose some of its character.

B|Java
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

seedlings
I always leave them. Just wanted to toss it out there.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

David

John Despres wrote:First thing I do is taste 'em. If they're sweet, I leave 'em there. Typically, light brown ones are OK, but if they're gray, they will most likely be sour. Toss 'em; yuk.

I agree with John.

I know it's against the rules to "disaggregate" beans in a batch of Ethiopian. Nevertheless, I confess that I do cull through them regularly.

My munch test sez: the light, whitish ones are usually immature cherries and won't taste very good (sour) and the light tan small ones often taste woody-peanutty. However, but some of the medium-sized light tan ones (with the dark "veins" on the back) have an occasional bean with very intense blueberry flavor. So I don't cull those at all. YMMV. So, try it yourself and see if you get any patterns.

cup_in_hand
Those light colored beans are a defect called quakers. T hey are most common in dry processed coffees, and they will never darken no matter how long you roast them. While their exact cause isn't well understood, it's believed that they lack the necessary amino acids and sugars for either a Milliard reaction or carmelization.

As far as removing them they are usually left in. They tend to lend flavors ranging from fermented/fruity flavors to peanutty/papery or even rotten flavors that are the unique hallmark of dry processed coffees.

There was a very good discussion some time ago about quakers on the Roasters Guild BB

I dare you to eat one whole!:(
Edited by cup_in_hand on 04/24/2009 11:43 PM
Anton
A life without coffee is a life not worth living.

RayO
How do you think <That Company> manages to equalize all of their roasts? The equalization point is 460? for 20m. Then everything is the same, whether it came from a coffee plant in Africa, Vietnam or Liechtenstein... With a HG/DB, I tend to chase the light ones, esp Ethiopian Sidamo, with the heat gun.
Cheers -RayO

Got Grinder?

Jump to Forum: