Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Keep This Beginner in Track
Firochromis
Hi fellow members,

I'm a new member here in HRO, and below is my first thread to make a personal introduction:
http://forum.home...ad_id=4431

With this thread I want to make a second introduction, this time keeping roasting in mind, in order to get more and better advice from you smile

As I stated earlier I haven't browned a single bean yet but with the encouragement of a fellow HRO member living in Turkey, I ordered 16lbs of green bean. don't worry I paid only $85. My strategy is to start with a cheap DIY method, start to learn the process; burn some beans, drink others and keep reading the roasting sources.

I consume 4lbs/month on average so I can keep the batch size small while roasting. I have a coffee corner but there is no room for a roaster there, so it will come out when needed. But still my wife will demand a good looking machine, not with an impression of a fire-starter when you at it. I can provide open air to this machine but I need a solution for chaff.

I'm an incurable modifier (but not a talented one). I simply can't keep my mind free of modifying a commercial item. I modified my espresso machine, mostly simple and innocent ways. But snails move faster than me when it comes to modifying. Sometimes I make quick process on a project but than leave it for some months just waiting the winds of inspiration blows again.

To start roasting, I have heatgun method on my mind. What do you think/suggest about it? My HRO friend suggested Steinel 2010E and it's in my budget. Among the commercial machines there is only Gene Cafe available here and smaller Toper's are still too much money for me.

Waiting for your comments.
Be in peace,

Firat Cingi

jkoll42
If you can source a heatgun and bread machine that would be ideal and also really fun and easy to modify. The nice thing is that even without modification it will still roast great beans.

The Steinel gun will work fine but any cheap heatgun will work great if you can control the temps with something like this - http://www.harbor...43060.html

I'm not sure what is available in Turkey but a cheap gun, bread machine and voltage control would give you half kilo capacity, be cheaper than the steinel gun and allow for lots of modification!

Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

HoldTheOnions
Either, you can dismantle and connect heating element straight to the speed controller or you could just plug the heat gun into the speed controller. The difference is that if you wire it directly to the speed controller then you will likely be able to attain higher temps. But if the high setting on the heat gun is sufficient, or too high, then the simplest thing is to just plug it into the speed controller so you can turn it down.

Consider if you wire it straight to the speed controller, then the max heat could still be limited by a thermostat or safety fuse, that will blow if it gets too hot. Many people disable safety devices, but then you assume a greater risk of fire. Also, if you leave it in the housing, it may also get too hot for the housing and melt it. Heat accumulates so it may take 30 minutes or whatever for this to happen.

JETROASTER
They look wonderful! You're life has indeed changed.
Congratulations -Scott

(that light roast might benefit from a couple days rest, but the darker one is good to go!! Cheers)

kahveuno
Looks like you are now ready to start Turkey HUGS (Homeroaster User Groups).
ThumbsUp
?nsal
https://twitter.com/#!/KahveUNO

Jump to Forum: