Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
direct fire roasting v2
texh
ok so i think im getting the hang of direct fire roasting now.. but still i need to work more on it..
i roasted Guat 1 or 2 day back and here is the result..

i.imgur.com/WnGoKKZ.jpg

i drank it today in a french press with 60:40 Guat:sumatra and it tasted jusst like normal coffee with much hint of french vanilla..
please comment/advice on this roast and help me figure out how to make roast to get more complex flavors..

BenKeith
I can't really say much about them because I've never tried direct fire roasting but it looks like there are a lot of scorched areas on the beans, However, it's all about what you like coming out of the cup, not me. Some people luv a French roast and even darker, and I would throw a French roast in the trash.

walt_in_hawaii
texh, I think you are looking for apples in an orange grove smile
All the guatemalans I've had don't really care to be roasted lightly, they seem to like going fairly dark, a little past 2C and they don't have very distinct flavors other than chocolate and smokiness when you go darker. Ditto for the couple of sumatrans I've had, although I know others here will disagree with me; but generally, the darker you go the more complexity you lose other than a general smokey richness that I call 'chocolate' due to its density. The bright flavors and citrus notes tend to hang out with the ethiopians, but if you roast an ethiopian much past 1C those flavors won't be there, either; you've got to keep the roasts very light, its a balancing act as the lighter you go the more 'grassy' and vegetal flavors remain.

I like chocolate and love fruity notes, so always blend two or three different beans in my morning cup and since my roast size is very small, I have around half a dozen different types of roasted beans to choose from at any one time. My 2 cents.

aloha,
walt

Jump to Forum: