Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roasting results
jhadsell1883
I now have about 10 roasts under my belt and have some feedback on the coffee. I'm hearing multiple reports of bitter or ashy flavors as an aftertaste. I started with 5 lbs each of Columbian Supremo, Columbian decaf, and Brazil Conquista. I'm going for a city/city+ roast typically around end of first crack. I've been using P1 on the Behmor and ending in the 13-15 min range.

Wondering if I need to use a different profile depending on which bean or if there is another basic technique I'm getting wrong. I've attempted different brew methods anywhere from 1-4 days after roast with similar aftertaste.

Here are pics of Saturdays results in order listed above.
jhadsell1883 attached the following image:
img_20171030_202321.jpg

oldgearhead
Oh yes. Decaf responds much quicker to heat because it has most of the outer skin removed, and it will probably be much drier than regular. To get the same degree of roast I usually roast the decaf first before the machine (fluid-bed) warms up, or take 2 minutes off the roast time. The flavors you describe may be the result of 'tipping' (burnt tips of coffee) found in my coffee only in decaf..
No oil on my beans...

jhadsell1883
I'm understanding the differences I need to make with the decaf as it is taking around 2 mins less to finish. Problem is I'm getting similar tastes with all 3 beans. I could definitely notice the bitterness in Brazilian this morning with the aeropress.

Going to try eliminating variables and stick with a specific brew method to test a few times. I was hoping there was a user error I've been making that was easily spotted by an experienced roaster.

turtle
Try using P3 and finishing in the 10-12 min range
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

jhadsell1883

turtle wrote:

Try using P3 and finishing in the 10-12 min range

So that seemed to work very well. Roasted on Friday night with a half pound of Brazil Conquista from Green coffee co-op. Ended up at 15 mins with first crack around 12:30. I waited to try it till this morning and got a pleasantly sweet, smooth, and easy to drink cup. Used my pour over cone from Primula.

Here are the notes from their website, complex aroma of toast, cinnamon, caramel. Smooth acidity, creamy body with a great milk chocolate and sweet Peanut Butter flavor with a long dry finish.

I can smell peanut butter from the beans immediately after roasting but am not picking up the other notes. Apparently my pallet is still developing

turtle
I always use the next "size" selection from what I am roasting.

I never roast more than 1/2 lb at a time.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Jump to Forum: