Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Back to the Garden...
So after messing around with the SR500 for about 7 pounds of beans I decided
to go back to Old-School... crank up the Kamado Grill ( lump coal ), put on the
digital therm, monitor read-outs and try again on a thick stainless cookie sheet.

I drilled a hole in the end-lip of the sheet and fashioned a skewer to it so i could agitate
the beans along the way.

Took copious notes and discovered bliss again. Cooked up a great batch of Columbian.
Like riding a bike it all came back to me.... except this time I wrote it all down while in
progress.

Of the 2 methods the FC event lasted much longer on the grill, and FC to 2C was spread out a bit longer as well, and I think this is a key factor. I pulled right at the beginning of 2C, actually dumped
the beans in the SR500 and used it to cool.

I'm going to cook up another batch or 2 or 3 and using the copious notes and mimic
the cook and if I get consistent results then I'm going to stay Old-School.

ChicagoJohn
"We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. "
-T.S. Eliot
So many beans; so little time....

Thinking about letting go of the SR700 and sticking to the Grill... after another 2 batches I have convinced myself that my Grill method produces superior results... I'll blame the results of the SR700 on me as the machine performs flawlessly, I just don't quite get it.

If anyone is interested I'll let it go for $125 and pay shipping... I'll even throw in a pound or 2 of beans that came with it.

Jump to Forum: