Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
(solved) Same bean Same cook method different results?
I'm getting a bit wore out here -

Finally got into a rhythm on my cooks :
X amount of beans dropped at Y temp with a ROR of Z
expecting 1C around the 8.5 to 9 minute mark lasting about 2 min
then 2C for 5-10 seconds pulling, cooling, setting up, loving it blah.

Yet on a new order of the same bean I'm getting crap results
after 2 attempts...

Did they ship me the wrong stuff or is there that much difference in
a batch of beans ordered 2 weeks apart. This stuff tastes like... sour...
like ... vinegary ...

I don't get it.
Edited by 8675309 on 11/06/2018 9:09 PM

renatoa
What machine ?
If same heat amount, same ROR, and FC in the same ballpark, then hard to find a reason... even beans mismatch is not an explanation, they should behave/roast different if the taste is so offset.

Dare to ask you to check the water temperature, or other change in your brew method?

Renatoa:
My method is via a lump-coal grill with a higher-end digital thermometer sending readouts of grill temp. Discarded my SR500 due to lousy results and went back to the grill method. I am able to control the temps quite well by opening and closing vents and have mimicked prior roasts to within a few seconds of each temp point from my copious notes from prior roasts.

Brew method the same, Thermopop digital for temp, same filters, same grind method ( by hand ), same amount of grinds...

I'm wondering if there is a slight amount more 'water' in these beans ... perhaps I should 'start' at a higher drop temp, add say 20-25 degrees to the entire process... I'm going to try that today.

So... after many sleepless nights and nightmares when I did sleep I contacted my purveyor of beans, and he advised me that he had a new guy working in the warehouse and it was quite possible they shipped me the wrong beans... and a replacement order was on the way .. quite nice of them..

I can think of no other explanation as the beans in question were not even close to what I expected.

The sun will come out tomorrow... well it's always out in Phoenix.

JackH
Too bad they didn't give you something better by mistake!
BBQ grill
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Jump to Forum: