Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
inner bean dev, or total time?
mirza
im using custom sample roaster, drum capacity 200g. the only thing i can measure is time and batch size. i measure gas charge only with my eyes, seeing wether is big or small charge and adjust it with a regulator. i can't measure temperature.

question is, when i read about roasting they say to get an enough inner bean development, we need enough starting momentum, this require high drop temperature. but if we want to supress vitality for espresso blends, we need to lengthen total roast time, require lower drop temperature.
now, if i want to roast espresso blend, should i choose between high or low temperature? or can i get both inner bean development and reduced vitality in one method?

thanks for your attention.

nb: if you need more data to answer this, please reply

allenb
Unfortunately, typical sample roasters have historically been designed for very light cupping roasts to allow buyers a means to evaluate green coffee and have never needed precise controls nor bean temperature feedback. With that being the case, it will be difficult for anyone to give advice on best way to steer your roaster through a profile. My advice for coffee intended to be used as espresso would be to experiment with starting temperatures to find a temperature that allows arriving at a light yellow/tan color (end of drying) at 5-6 minutes and manipulate the the gas pressure to allow sliding into a browning phase that gets you to start of first crack by an additional 4 minutes. At first snips of first crack, back off on the gas to allow hitting your finish bean color in another 2 to 3 minutes.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

mirza

allenb wrote:

Unfortunately, typical sample roasters have historically been designed for very light cupping roasts to allow buyers a means to evaluate green coffee and have never needed precise controls nor bean temperature feedback. With that being the case, it will be difficult for anyone to give advice on best way to steer your roaster through a profile. My advice for coffee intended to be used as espresso would be to experiment with starting temperatures to find a temperature that allows arriving at a light yellow/tan color (end of drying) at 5-6 minutes and manipulate the the gas pressure to allow sliding into a browning phase that gets you to start of first crack by an additional 4 minutes. At first snips of first crack, back off on the gas to allow hitting your finish bean color in another 2 to 3 minutes.

thank you very much, this answer is really helpfull. one more question if you dont mind. what is your advice for filter roast with sample roaster like mine?

renatoa
Finish is what establish the roast target, less than 2 minutes for filter, more than 3 minutes for espresso.

mirza

renatoa wrote:

Finish is what establish the roast target, less than 2 minutes for filter, more than 3 minutes for espresso.

thanks for the help to u all, really helps me

Jump to Forum: