Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Waiting on my Roaster and beans.
raullozano3
Hi just joined the Forum, very excited to start roasting had been debating it for the last 10 years Lol, but well decided to go into it; went with the FreshRoast SR800, seems the right choice not expensive but also not cheap for being my first roaster, but decided to invest at least what I can tell it is a good option for air roasters.

Any tips or a basic template I could follow, also getting 1lbs Ethiopia and 1lbs Colombian coffee from Amazon for testing, because I am sure there are better options but want to start first getting my hands on roasting.

thanks!

renatoa
What are your measurement/control choices and methods for this roaster?

According to some past threads about the basic hot air roasting approach, you should start with an air temperature in the 175-200C ballpark, and slowly ramp to 240-250C during the 3 minutes dry, then wait for first crack.
Experiments done by fellows revealed that good results are obtained even if you jump from 200 to 250 C degrees in some steps, not a must to have a smooth linear ramp.
Play with temperatures in the range above to aim first crack in the 6-7 minutes ballpark.
If no temperature monitoring available, then power levels scale approximate very close temperatures, for this class of machines.
But I mean real power levels, not what you read 1-2-3...-9 on a knob... For example, if you have 150 C degrees at 40% power level, then 250 C will be pretty close to 60%.

Regarding agitation, my experience with such machines taught me to keep it at a minimum, like a boiling, just to have a slow vertical movement. As soon as they start having fountain/popcorn style jumping, the roasting became less uniform.

Good luck and waiting first roasts !
Edited by renatoa on 06/06/2022 1:47 PM

AJRoaster
Definitely, recommend watching a few videos on Youtube on how to roast on FreshRoast. While Freshroast is amazing for what it can do in that size, the lack of automation and the moderate air temp and air flow, it requires certain fan and heat settings at different times during the roast, unlike popper or other fluid bed machines which can work relatively ok, with a constant air flow throughout.

renatoa
Isn't FreshRoast a fluid bed ?
My experience is different with a Chinese SR540 clone, identical mechanics and roast chamber, different electronic. It can roast with constant air flow, without any change from start to end.
More than this... it is even recommended to do so... the smallest change in airflow, in any moment, led to huge jumps in RoR.
Attached is a sample of such roast, with constant air flow, and heater controlled by a custom electronics/algorithm, no PID.
renatoa attached the following image:
0430_cchir_74gr_-_copy.png

Mike_Mathis

renatoa wrote:

Isn't FreshRoast a fluid bed ?
My experience is different with a Chinese SR540 clone, identical mechanics and roast chamber, different electronic. It can roast with constant air flow, without any change from start to end.
More than this... it is even recommended to do so... the smallest change in airflow, in any moment, led to huge jumps in RoR.
Attached is a sample of such roast, with constant air flow, and heater controlled by a custom electronics/algorithm, no PID.

If all the info I am reading is correct, and I believe it is, the FreshRoast units are definitely fluid bed roasters. And I might add they seem to do a good job if operated correctly. That is what brings me here.........to learn how to operate mine correctly. I have a SR540 with FR extension tube. I was not aware of a Chinese clone out on the market (but, I am not surprised). I'm a little confused by your statement because the air flow can be constant on the FreshRoast if fan speed is set and not manipulated. However, I believe changing the fan speed on a FreshRoast is a plus for manipulating temps. I am currently trying to decide on a temp probe to install through the chaff basket to monitor bean temp. I can spend $20 or $50 and I'm wondering if the higher price one is actually better. The one I used with the original chamber is now too short due to the added length of the extension. Oh well, just rambling a little while I try to figure this roasting thing out.

renatoa
Sure, there are multiple approached to use a FB, there is a school where power is fixed across the whole roast, and all the magic is done from airflow change only.
But for the chinese clone I wrote above the air settings are completely inappropriate for a good roast, thus my approach to set the airflow and forget it.
Maybe the original is better in this respect.

Mike_Mathis
Can you post a link to the Chinese version?

renatoa
Out of production/sale, and, hard to believe but true, out of this world... no Internet reference and images of this machine can be found atm by google Grin
Probably sued for copyright.
It is called Cafemasy, code CR308, and the only resource I found related is this video:

LE: using other search terms found it for sale on Ali:
https://www.aliex...16897.html

... way too expensive now, close to a genuine FR
Was half of this price when bought 2-3 years ago.

Mike_Mathis
The FreshRoast SR540 with extension tube is a setup that provides great bean movement to prevent scorching beans while still green and heavy. I believe you can see scorched beans in the video above because of lack of movement at the beginning of the roast. The ability to manipulate the airflow is a plus on two fronts as we all know the beans get lighter in weight as the roast progresses, so lowering the fan speed keeps beans away from the chaff collector and fan speed reduction works great to increase the temp to hit targets during the roast. I would dare say that the FreshRoast units WITH the extension tubes are definitely a more reliable way to roast. Interesting that the person making the video on the Chinese clone said don't buy this.
I did 4 roasts yesterday with my SR540 (2 Nicaraguan and 2 Guatamala) and I believe they will be good. They are resting for 3 days before grinding begins. I realize a lot of what I typed is info that most of you already know, so my apologies. I'm still basically a newbie at roasting so I think in those terms.cross fingers

renatoa
He is right to recommend don't buy, because this item, as others I bought from China, is a typical example of how to "make something that LOOKS like this, not necessarily to WORK like this"...
The controls are fake/dummy, the 3 positions heater knob do not control anything, no lo-med-hi, just same maximum heat for any position, actually there is no heater control circuitry inside, just a mechanical on-off relay.
The fan pot also works very jumpy and inconsistent, making hard to reproduce airflow levels, thus roasts.
Was a complete rebuild for me, a very exciting project, and great functionality outcome.

Mike_Mathis
I just ground 120gr of the Nicaraguan roast I did 3 days ago and I believe I am truly learning how to roast coffee. I guess all those youtube videos are paying dividends. My first cup is a Bee House pour over, and I am deeply considering a Clever Dripper just for fun. Don't mistake my interest for the Dripper as an issue with the Bee House. It is awesome. I apologize I am straying off topic a little here.

Jump to Forum: