Who is here? 3 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Skywalker roaster mods
billsey
I'm going to have to test, but I assume something like this: https://www.amazo...B085BJRZN2 would also work with Skywalker Spy? And potentially allow the display to be used with normal Skywalker control? I'll check the wiring when they arrive, but I believe all four wires are duplicated on both sides.
Edited by renatoa on 06/02/2024 2:21 AM

renatoa
Yes, will work.
And indeed offer an easier way to tap the signals to the board.
Instead surgery in the middle of the cable, you just cut one of the female plugs and solder to Arduino.
Good find ! ThumbsUp

Btw, if interest I can post a new redesigned version of Spy sketch, using interrupts instead actual pulse waiting/blocking code, allowing a more reliable following of the protocol.
We are talking about one packet lost during 10 seconds (2-300 packets) instead actual packet skipping method, that let pass un-captured about 2/3 of packets (12-14 of 20 skipped, per second).
Edited by renatoa on 06/02/2024 8:20 AM

billsey
That seems like it would be better... I've got the SkyCommand sketch flashed right now, but haven't yet run any beans through. The splitters arrived today, and once I ohm them out I think I'll flash the spy sketch instead and run my first roast under the stock controls, but monitor using Artisan. Once I'm comfortable with that I'll give full control a try with the splitter in place, so I can see what the stock controller does when Artisan is actually in control. My thought is that unless you try to use both as control at the same time it ought to work...

Mike_Mathis

renatoa wrote:

Btw, if interest I can post a new redesigned version of Spy sketch, using interrupts instead actual pulse waiting/blocking code, allowing a more reliable following of the protocol.
We are talking about one packet lost during 10 seconds (2-300 packets) instead actual packet skipping method, that let pass un-captured about 2/3 of packets (12-14 of 20 skipped, per second).

I am a fan of Skywalker Spy. I find it my preferred way to roast coffee with this roaster. If you decide to post a redesigned version, I would be interested.
Edited by Mike_Mathis on 06/07/2024 8:50 PM
*Kaffelogic Nano 7
*Skywalker V1
*2023 BC-2

renatoa

billsey wrote:

...Once I'm comfortable with that I'll give full control a try with the splitter in place, so I can see what the stock controller does when Artisan is actually in control. My thought is that unless you try to use both as control at the same time it ought to work...

You can't do this with any (known) version of josh code.
Can be done, but requires massive redesign.

Anyway, if you raised the ball, let's brainstorm a bit, everyone is invited for an opinion, how could be operated such contraption, i.e. roaster taking commands from both panel and/or Artisan.
I don't mean the code, but could be the user experience.
For better understanding, will list below what can be done and what not...
- change of control arbitration - can be done. I mean if at a moment in time I have 65% power on control panel display and I move the heater slider in Artisan to 70%, the roaster will get 70%. Later, If I dial in control panel 60%, the roaster will get 60%
- display feedback of actual values - only partial, not both sides. In the example above, when an Artisan command will change the heater to 70%, the control panel display will continue to show 65%, it can't be notiffied that a change happened in the outside world, and other side is in control. Conversely, when the control panel would lower the power to 60%, this can be seen in Artisan, because the actual power value can be captured from panel control packet. This value will show and plot correctly in Artisan.
But this value can't force the Artisan slider to move itself to 60% from 70%, where it was previously moved manually.

Confusing enough ? Grin
Does such a mode of operation, allowing control from both sources, but having actual values ​​only visible in Artisan, make sense?
What could be the advantages of such setup though ?
At first glance I see the fact that you can do preheat and cooling from control panel, easier and safer than from Artisan, mmm... ?
Other thoughts ?

End of rant.

MaKoMo
Artisans event quantifiers, introduced in 2014, can be used to have a device channels data move a slider in Artisan. This mechanism has been added, and is in use, by machines like all supported Probat, Giesen and many other machines to synchronize the Artisan sliders with power inputs over their control panels.
See https://artisan-r...fiers.html
Edited by renatoa on 06/08/2024 6:10 AM

billsey
That would be the best of both worlds, I think. Artisan monitoring what the panel sends as well as overriding as needed. Could be a bit complex to implement though. For now I'd like to control either by Artisan or the panel, with both the panel and Artisan displaying the status. That allows me to use the panel yet get graphs from Artisan or have Artisan in control and the panel shows status. My guess is that should be good to go without changes...

billsey
It turns out the splitter has something internal other than just a connection between the ends, which is problematic when used on the Skywalker, the temperature probe throws an error with in in the circuit. I'm going to do some testing to see if where the issue is, but will likely just have to build one up myself.

renatoa
Thank you for the report. Sorry to hear this.
Checked with an ohmmeter if all 4 wires are connected as expected ?
Tried on both sides of the Y ?

billsey
I got some USB breakout boards in so could test conductivity. One side of the female connectors only has power and ground hooked up, and the wire itself only has two conductors. I've got more breakout boards on the way so I can wire up a Y cable that has all four lines. It was just a 50:50 chance I'd choose the wrong side when I first fired it up, since when I connect the other side of the Y the Skywalker can see the temperature normally. Now that I look at the detail on the Y cable, the fine print near the bottom says "One USB 2.0 Female is JUST for Power Charging". :(

renatoa
Voila... the fine print...

Jump to Forum: