04/23/2024 7:01 PM
Paul Kalb Welcome

renatoa
04/23/2024 4:34 AM
Coffee_Rabbit_Hole
and Michaelion, welcome cup

renatoa
04/21/2024 2:35 AM
compactjack and GreenGenie coffee drink ?

allenb
04/19/2024 8:27 AM
eximwind Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,227
Newest Member: AGZ

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
OGH inspired lb fluidbed w/cyclonic separator.
seedlings
Great project Scott! Almost sounds like you're making a large Zack & Dani's (Nesco) roaster.

Re: heat... maybe you can use the heat elements like Danw was using? They're flat!

www.pstbbs.com/danw2002/pics/heater%20fan%20bare%20sm.jpg

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

grumpyod
Is it possible to use a coil burner from a electric range? I have been trying to picture a roaster in my head using that as the heat source with its infinite control for temp. adjustment.

ginny
Very cool Scottie! Thanks for sharing this one...

Sean you can send that nice piece of equipment to me! Actually I will drive back and pick it up and haul it back to Snowflake!

gShock

JETROASTER
Chad, I think that is the idea. Either purchased or created, I think that's the shape.

Grump, I'm not sure if the stove burners transfer energy as effectively as needed for the airflow requirements....great for a drum....not sure about the air-roaster....but you've got me thinking about the controller. -Scott

danw2002
good idea grump, i will look into it for controlling my twin 1500wt heater elements, just might be the thing.....txs...:Clap:

grumpyod wrote:
Is it possible to use a coil burner from a electric range? I have been trying to picture a roaster in my head using that as the heat source with its infinite control for temp. adjustment.

Dan Williams...WHAAAT!?!?!? I have NOT had enough coffee.....

dja
they have a pretty slow lag time as far as changing temp goes I would think, where with a NiChrome coil they cool off almost instantly when the powers cut, But the lag time may not affect anyones profils except for a few people.
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

seedlings

dja wrote:
they have a pretty slow lag time as far as changing temp goes I would think, where with a NiChrome coil they cool off almost instantly when the powers cut, But the lag time may not affect anyones profils except for a few people.

Could have 2 elements, one on all the time, the other switched for control? Dunno.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JETROASTER
I'm still curious about the Grumps question...is a coil from a range a viable heat source? -Scott

endlesscycles
A coil from a range is a viable heat source. Kw is Kw. Lag time will be greater than higher surface area options, but for smooth profiles (generally what you want, I've found), just fine. Once the sucker's heated up, drawing heat off it's thermal mass won't be too difficult... and may prove advantageous during the first two minutes.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

JETROASTER
Perhaps with the coil in a very close-tolerance liner, drawing off the heat could work. I was planning on running at 8" column pressure before the RC anyway.
The Grump might have a winner!! -Scott

endlesscycles

freshbeans wrote:
Perhaps with the coil in a very close-tolerance liner, drawing off the heat could work. I was planning on running at 8" column pressure before the RC anyway.
The Grump might have a winner!! -Scott

It really doesn't matter how you orient the element; Heat isn't going to magically stay put when there is cooler air around.

1 cheap Kw, with controller : http://bit.ly/nfFeC7
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

endlesscycles
Well..turns out the controller is just a bimetallic thermostat. Probably better without it.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

danw2002
Yes and no, you have to look at surface area, that is why air-blown type heaters have the very thin wire and lots of it, look at the coils i am using, they are very efficient at heat transfer to air, also look at an old baseboard heater, same kind of thing(most have a heat element surrounded by fins to transfer heat to the air), kind of like a car radiator....if fact very close to the same principals, surface area is key. stove coils are good for surface to direct surface conduction, not air to air, in fact some time try a fun little experiment, next time boil some water, time it with the pan on the burner, then put a little rack between them, say an inch or two, and time it now....big difference in time. but way to think outside the box. :Clap: stove coils would produce heat, and would prob. work, but how well and compared to other coils out there, that is a different story

endlesscycles wrote:
A coil from a range is a viable heat source. Kw is Kw. Lag time will be greater than higher surface area options, but for smooth profiles (generally what you want, I've found), just fine. Once the sucker's heated up, drawing heat off it's thermal mass won't be too difficult... and may prove advantageous during the first two minutes.

allenb

danw2002 wrote:
Yes and no, you have to look at surface area, that is why air-blown type heaters have the very thin wire and lots of it, look at the coils i am using, they are very efficient at heat transfer to air, also look at an old baseboard heater, same kind of thing(most have a heat element surrounded by fins to transfer heat to the air), kind of like a car radiator....if fact very close to the same principals, surface area is key. stove coils are good for surface to direct surface conduction, not air to air, in fact some time try a fun little experiment, next time boil some water, time it with the pan on the burner, then put a little rack between them, say an inch or two, and time it now....big difference in time. but way to think outside the box. :Clap: stove coils would produce heat, and would prob. work, but how well and compared to other coils out there, that is a different story

endlesscycles wrote:

I once argued this same issue with Marshall over several posts and lost the argument.:|

Marshall is absolutely correct in his premise of watts in = watts out. Pretty much any configuration of element is forced to transfer its heat to the air otherwise the temperature of the element would continue to increase to the point of meltdown. In the case of the tubular stovetop element, the reason it's not used in most convection heating applications is that it's not economically practical, would be difficult to design around and the lag time mentioned before. Otherwise, there's no reason not to heat air with them.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JETROASTER

endlesscycles wrote:
Well..turns out the controller is just a bimetallic thermostat. Probably better without it.

Let's just pretend I'm willing to work with the slow response time. Given the mass of the heat source, would a bi-metallic strip really be all that bad? -Scott

allenb

freshbeans wrote:

endlesscycles wrote:

Let's just pretend I'm willing to work with the slow response time. Given the mass of the heat source, would a bi-metallic strip really be all that bad? -Scott

Is it a bimetalic t-stat or a bimetalic duty cycle control as found on most of the older stovetop elements?

A bimetalic duty cycle control would probably work fine for manual control. The first heating scheme on my 1/2lb drum roaster consisted of a hairpen shaped 3/8" dia tubular element underneath a solid drum and was controlled via bi-metal stove top control which is a duty cycle mode control.

For a fluidbed application there would obviously be more temperature swing of the tubular element during low power settings of the control since the duty cycle times would be longer but I don't think it would be enough to negatively affect the roast.

What is the wattage of the hot plate tubular element?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

danw2002
MM, i am not going to go down this road, i agree that on a pure level, there is no loss of energy, it is converted...but there are many things going on here, like the internal resistance of the element to keep it from melting down. i will leave it at this, take two rocks, same mass/weight. one is just one big one, the other is made of or a matrix of 300 equally sized small rocks with air passages between them all, both masses are heated to 500f all the way though to the core of all. now pass air though both masses at the same volume and speed, which mass will release the heat to the passing air faster? like any thing that is manufactured, the reason that a single large element is not used is not purely size/cost it is as always many factors, and that is what it always comes down to. thanks for your insight, keeps us on our toes..

allenb wrote:

I once argued this same issue with Marshall over several posts and lost the argument.:|

Marshall is absolutely correct in his premise of watts in = watts out. Pretty much any configuration of element is forced to transfer its heat to the air otherwise the temperature of the element would continue to increase to the point of meltdown. In the case of the tubular stovetop element, the reason it's not used in most convection heating applications is that it's not economically practical, would be difficult to design around and the lag time mentioned before. Otherwise, there's no reason not to heat air with them.

Allen

greencardigan

danw2002 wrote:
i will leave it at this, take two rocks, same mass/weight. one is just one big one, the other is made of or a matrix of 300 equally sized small rocks with air passages between them all, both masses are heated to 500f all the way though to the core of all. now pass air though both masses at the same volume and speed, which mass will release the heat to the passing air faster?

My little brain hurts when i think about it, but this is how I see it.

The matrix of small rocks will initially result in higher air temps. But it will cool down quick. The air temp from the single big rock will start lower but after a some time will be warmer than the matrix.

I suspect it is related to the surface area and the surface temperature of the element. Two elements, same wattage, same airflow. One element with a large surface area the other with a small surface area.

The element with the larger surface area will have more air contact and will cool more easily resulting in a cooler surface temperature.

The element with less surface area will have a higher surface temperature to compensate for the reduced surface area.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong??

allenb
Danw and GC,

My apologies if I came off as a no-it-all on this subject or rude as I am not at all an expert in thermodynamics and don't want to offend anyone. Most of you guys have probably forgot more than I'll ever learn.

Everythng I'm hearing to do with surface area, surface temp etc. seems to agree with my take on the subject.

I'd like to list a few thiings we all seem to be saying to clarify:

NiChrome open coil
-Larger surface area
-Quicker response
-Lower surface temperature

Tubular element
-Smaller surface area
-Slower response (high thermal inertia)
-Higher surface temperature

One problem that can ocurr due to the higer surface temperature is losses from increased radiant energy transferring through the enclosure side walls (if not well insulated). This robbed a lot of available heat energy in my first try on my 1/2 lb drum roaster (became a space heater).

Dan, you mentioned the use of fins on baseboard heater elements. For others who may not know this, fins allow a couple of things to happen, one, to reduce surface temperature which is safer to operate especially in domestic use and increased service life of the element. Two, they produce a much increased natural upward convection draft.

In regards to my comment that a tubular element would melt down if it didn't release it's energy to the air, I'd like to clarify that statement. Lets say we had two elements, one open coil and one tubular stovetop with the same resistance and both would be say, 1200 watts and both have 25 cfm flowing past them. Assume no losses via radiant heat to the side walls. The open coil would have a much reduced surface temperature but if coiled in a serpantine fashion as in a blow dryer, the areas first contacted by the convection air stream would have a relatively low surface temperature (no color) and the last few turns would have a much higher surface temperature and at full output might be as high as the tubular element or higher.

It would be great to see an actual experiment with the two elements to see it proved out.

One potential drawback to using a tubular element would be if one chose to cool the roast while in the roast chamber. The larger thermal inertia would not allow the needed quick cool down of the beans at the end of the roast.

Allen

danw2002
Yep, you are on the right track, my example did not include an ongoing heat input, which as you can see now, changes things. my only point is as with everything, there are many factors involved with any design, and many blends of trade offs.....now how did i get on this merry go round and how do i make it stop so i can get off?? Shock

greencardigan wrote:

danw2002 wrote:
i will leave it at this, take two rocks, same mass/weight. one is just one big one, the other is made of or a matrix of 300 equally sized small rocks with air passages between them all, both masses are heated to 500f all the way though to the core of all. now pass air though both masses at the same volume and speed, which mass will release the heat to the passing air faster?

My little brain hurts when i think about it, but this is how I see it.

The matrix of small rocks will initially result in higher air temps. But it will cool down quick. The air temp from the single big rock will start lower but after a some time will be warmer than the matrix.

I suspect it is related to the surface area and the surface temperature of the element. Two elements, same wattage, same airflow. One element with a large surface area the other with a small surface area.

The element with the larger surface area will have more air contact and will cool more easily resulting in a cooler surface temperature.

The element with less surface area will have a higher surface temperature to compensate for the reduced surface area.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong??

danw2002
NP Allen, what you are saying is valid. I am just getting to the how in some of these, like how do the base board heaters move air, the fins, through vastly increased surface area, cause the heat to release faster into the passing air, and therefor increase the convection currents caused by said heat moving higher, not the other way around. ...we are pretty much saying some of the same things..on to building and roasting..eh....

allenb wrote:

Dan, you mentioned the use of fins on baseboard heater elements. For others who may not know this, fins allow a couple of things to happen, one, to reduce surface temperature which is safer to operate especially in domestic use and increased service life of the element. Two, they produce a much increased natural upward convection draft.

Allen

endlesscycles
Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

At equal airflow (cfm) and equal power (kw), both will result in an equal change in air temperature.

Response time will be different, but that's all.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

endlesscycles

allenb wrote:

What is the wattage of the hot plate tubular element?

Allen

1kw. I think you can effectively make a 1/2lb air roaster with that. Theoretically, a drum of infinite thermal mass and infinite insulation could roast an infinite amount of coffee with just 1kw. It might take some time to charge the drum, though.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

JETROASTER
What would be halfway between the bulk of a range burner, and the whimpy nichrome from a heatgun? -Scott

JimH
Heavy gauge Kanthal, similar to a kiln heating element?

Jim

Jump to Forum: